- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 3 shallots, peeled
- 1 egg
- Coarse/kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Clarified butter or olive oil for sautéing
- several pieces smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- creme fraiche or sour cream
- snipped chives
- Combine potatoes, shallots, and egg in a food processor and grate.
- Spoon grated-potato mixture into a bowl and add salt and pepper.
- Heat clarified butter or olive oil in a large sautÃ© pan, preferably with a nonstick surface.
- Spoon 2 or more tablespoons of potato mixture into pan for each pancake. The thickness and diameter of the pancakes will depend on how they are to be used.
- Cook pancakes until golden brown, turning frequently.
When you have the desired amount of pancakes, lay them out on a serving plate. Top each one with a thin slice of smoked salmon, a dab of creme fraiche or sour cream and a pinch of snipped chives.
Eat right away while they’re still warm.
Make about 2 dozen pancakes
Adapted from Chef David Burke